Remember Me? | Join | Recover
Click here to sign in via social networking

Gig Guide Forums

Shade
muzic.net.nz Admin

View Profile
The Cribs
Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:38 pm
Southern Amp, Blackout and MySpace Music NZ are proud to present...

THE CRIBS

Gary Jarman, Ross Jarman, Ryan Jarman and... Johnny Marr

Tour Dates
February 2010

Christchurch
Thursday 25 February
The Bedford

Wellington
Friday 26 February
Bar Bodega

Auckland
Saturday 27 February
Powerstation

Tickets on sale Thursday 17 December from Ticketmaster and Real Groovy (Auckland), www.eventfinder.co.nz, Real Groovy and Cosmic Corner (Christchurch and Wellington)

“The biggest cult band in the UK” - Q Magazine

“Swaggering, full-throttle, full-throated genius” - www.musicOMH.com

“Johnny Marr's guitar adds gravitas to the adrenalised indie.” - The Guardian

UK outfit The Cribs, originally just 3 brothers - Ryan, Gary & Ross Jarman recruited a new member for their latest album and for their 2010 Australia & New Zealand tour, Johnny Marr, the former guitarist and songwriter for The Smiths.

The band met Johnny Marr in 2006 after he heard The Cribs single ‘Hey Scenesters’ on his car radio and was captivated immediately. When Ryan Jarman suggested to Johnny Marr that they record an EP together it quickly turned into much more, as Marr became permanent member of The Cribs.

For Johnny Marr, joining the group wasn’t a hard decision to make: “They’ve got the brains of the Buzzcocks, the guts of Nirvana, the fizz of the Ramones. I know how to be in a really good group and that’s what this is. Despite who I am and my history, what really counts is the way it sounds when we write songs together and when we’re in front of an audience. I surprise myself that I’m back in a band, but I haven’t had to second guess it, because it feels like they’re the right band for me.”

The three-piece formed back in 2002 when twin brothers Gary and Ryan, having dropped out of music college, founded Spring Time Studios in their home town. They kitted it out with cheap gear and started playing, putting on gigs and throwing parties to make ends meet all the while the fledgling Cribs were playing squats and basements - drawing heavily on influences from the UK punk and riot grrrl scenes, not only in their sound but in their DIY ethic. The influence is unsurprising as the boys had spent their early teens listening to the Ramones, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, The Pastels and Comet Gain.

“A pivotal moment was buying the Ramones’ “It’s Alive”. We were still at school and it cost £15. Me and Ry saved our £1.50 dinner money for the week and bought it at the weekend. It’s such a good record, going without a week’s dinner was totally justified.”

Keeping this punk fervour as their career developed along with it the boys established a stunning pop sensibility that has allowed them to grapple often difficult topics while infiltrating the collective conscious with a catchy riff.

Gary: “I enjoy writing pop songs, pop is still one of the best and most expressive types of music, you can really tug on the old heart strings, and not to compare ourselves to this, but look at Motown, they were pure pop songs but they were way more powerful than any punk song or any rock song.”

The Cribs have just released their fourth album, ‘Ignore The Ignorant’, the follow up to their striking 2007 album ‘Men’s Needs, Women’s Needs, Whatever’ which smashed together the catchy sounds of brit pop with the heart of indie rock and the passion of UK punk in standout tracks like ‘Men’s Needs’.

The first slice from their latest album ‘Cheat On Me’ is already turning heads as The Cribs continue to build on their sound. The injection of the legendary Johnny Marr into the group has had an immediate effect. The new album is stronger, darker and yet still ever present are those outstanding pop hooks that have built a legion of Cribs fans.

The Cribs – Gary Jarman, Ross Jarman, Ryan Jarman and Johnny Marr - embark on a long-awaited tour to Australia & New Zealand this coming February.

Special guest support acts to be announced.

Watch:

Cheat On Me

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=61465040

Men’s Needs

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=11312133

Links:

www.thecribs.com
www.myspace.com/thecribs

Shade
muzic.net.nz Admin

View Profile
RE: The Cribs
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:44 pm
Fri 26 Feb Wellington Bar Bodega with Sleepy Age

With influences from The Pixies and The Mystery Jets, four piece Sleepy Age includes former members of previous national Rockquest winners Neil Robinson, Bang Bang Eche and The Insurgents culminating in one of Christchurch's hottest indie supergroups.

http://www.myspace.com/sleepyageband

Tickets available from www.eventfinder.co.nz and Real Groovy

Sat 27 Feb Auckland Juice Bar @ The Windsor Castle with Collapsing Cities and Bandicoot

Last years' Collapsing Cities single 'Tazers' was one of the outstanding indie anthems of the year and the band have packed their pillows with lyrical barbs and dream pop hooks as they gear up for the impending release of their second album Strangers Again after winning press accolades here and in the UK with their debut Elixir Always. The Auckland quartet mix raw post-punk yelp with dancefloor energy.

http://www.myspace.com/collapsingcities

Youthful, exuberant, feisty, noisy - Bandicoot are the musical equivalent of mixing Mentos and cola in your mouth. Spring loaded pop camouflaged in noise and LCD guitar pick ups, the high school three piece have skipped gleefully from the Auckland all ages scene to the Big Day Out stage and beyond in the past six months. Part Be Your Own Pet, part Le Tigre, they can also throw some Boy In Da Corner era Dizzee Rascal into the mix also. These kids are "buzzy" in every which way.

http://www.myspace.com/bandicootbandicoot

Tickets available from Real Groovy, Juice Bar and www.moshtix.co.nz

The Cribs @ Billboard, Melbourne (17/02/10)
Gig Reviews by stefaniemarkidis, 20th February, 2010

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/reviews/events/22589/The-Cribs--Billboard-Melbourne-170210.htm

After opening with We Were Aborted, The Cribs kicked proceedings into gear with indie rock anthem Hey Scenesters! – a suitable hello to the crowd tightly packing the venue.

The UK outfit offered an incredible live performance. Their songs are pop enough to catch you on a snappy hook but still retain that all-important rock respectability. The Cribs are no transient indie rock sensation. They play haunting verse after distressed chorus without setting a foot wrong.

Twins Ryan and Gary Jarman deliver vocals with arresting intensity, their voices often melding together indistinguishably, while younger brother Ross treats his drum kit to a generous beating. The addition of Johnny Marr (former The Smiths guitarist) to the lineup further solidifies this band’s status as a highly reputable act.

Onstage, Marr is all class. Casually holding his guitar outstretched towards the audience, peering quizzically at his own strings and blowing kisses into the adoring crowd during the aptly titled Mirror Kissers, he retains an air of casual brilliance while the Jarman brothers are spectacularly volatile with energy.

The Cribs are relentless. Consistent in howling, smashing vigour, the only dip in energy came during Save Your Secrets, and that was intentional. The song was played in dedication to the late Australian guitar hero Rowland S. Howard and proved a poignant note for the night.

The band last toured Australia in 2006 and did not visit us koala hugging outback dwellers after the release of their third album Men’s Needs, Women’s Needs, Whatever in 2007 so there was some catching up to do and their set was not solely filled with songs from their latest offering Ignore The Ignorant – there was a mix of new, old and even older.

As a testament to the consistency of this band, new tracks such as Hari Kari, Cheat on Me and Ignore The Ignorant were received with the same crowd enthusiasm as older favourites Direction, Another Number and I’ve Tried Everything.

Be Safe proved a highlight of the night. As the boys were shadowed in low light, behind them was projected a backdrop video recording of visually and verbally eccentric Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth guitarist) providing his poetic spoken-word guest soliloquy. The simple concept of subdued instrumentalism coupled with the abstract imagery of Ranaldo’s monotone speech added to the surreal propaganda feel of watching a giant face wax political, or semi-crazed political. Astounding.

Men’s Needs and Mirror Kissers were definite crowd favourites, the latter explosive with its gunshot drum interlude like a missile attack and furious guitars scratched like attacking a hideous itch.

The Cribs ended their set with City of Bugs, a song twisted with soft verses and heavy instrumental breaks, culminating to a close of distorted guitar noise with Ross standing on top of his drum set, bashing at the cymbals, Ryan kneeling over in a musical trance and a room full of very satisfied Aussies.

CHECK OUT THE PHOTOS FROM THE GIG:

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/gallery/14198/2/The-Cribs.htm

Muzic Bot

View Profile
RE: The Cribs
Posted: Thu Sep 9, 2010 4:19 pm
This is an automatic reply stating that Muzic Bot has closed this thread due to inactivity.

This means that there have been no posts made to this thread for a period of months and the thread has been locked.

Now that this thread is locked, you will not be able to make any further posts to it.

Please login to post.

NZ Top 10 Singles

• MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    Tommy Richman
  • I HAD SOME HELP
    Post Malone feat. Morgan Wallen
  • NOT LIKE US
    Kendrick Lamar
  • A BAR SONG (TIPSY)
    Shaboozey
  • TOO SWEET
    Hozier
  • ESPRESSO
    Sabrina Carpenter
  • BEAUTIFUL THINGS
    Benson Boone
  • FORTNIGHT
    Taylor Swift feat. Post Malone
  • LOSE CONTROL
    Teddy Swims
  • I LIKE THE WAY YOU KISS ME
    Artemas
View the Full NZ Top 40...
muzic.net.nz Logo
100% New Zealand Music
All content on this website is copyright to muzic.net.nz and other respective rights holders. Redistribution of any material presented here without permission is prohibited.
Report a ProblemReport A Problem