Remember Me? | Join | Recover
Click here to sign in via social networking

Gig Guide Forums

BachMusicaNZ

View Profile
Bach Musica NZ: Bach St John Passion
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:44 pm
BACH MUSICA NZ: Sunday 2 April 2023, 5PM at Auckland Town Hall

The St John and St Matthew Passions are Bach's most famous pieces of sacred music and are regarded as major pillars of Western culture.

The?St John Passion?is a haunting and dramatic musical depiction of the Passion of Christ, as told in the Gospel of John. The story of Jesus’ capture, judgment, and crucifixion are presented by the solo tenor (the Evangelist). A cast of other singers perform the roles of Jesus, Pilate, and the disciples, while the four-part choir represents the people at large. Chorales interrupt the flow of the plot at significant moments and allow for reverent reflection.

The?St John Passion?was first performed in 1724 but was revised and changed for subsequent performances in 1725, 1732, and 1749. The latter version will be performed by Bach Musica NZ.

The Passion’s final chorus,?Ruht wohl, ihr heiligen Gebeine,?bids farewell to all lament and suffering and drifts off into a lasting, celestial peace. The?closing chorale?speaks of angels, sleep “without any anguish or pain,” and eternal praise.

‘Music for the soul’, as needed now in our troubled world!

Rita Paczian Conductor
Alexandra Francis Soprano
Cecily Shaw Alto
Sid Chand Tenor Arias
Henry Choo Evangelist
Sam McKeever Christ
James Ioelu Bass

For more information visit www.bachmusica.com

Please login to post.

NZ Top 10 Singles

• TOO SWEET
    Hozier
  • BEAUTIFUL THINGS
    Benson Boone
  • LOSE CONTROL
    Teddy Swims
  • I LIKE THE WAY YOU KISS ME
    Artemas
  • SATURN
    SZA
  • STICK SEASON
    Noah Kahan
  • END OF BEGINNING
    Djo
  • LIKE THAT
    Future And Metro Boomin feat. Kendrick Lamar
  • ESPRESSO
    Sabrina Carpenter
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS (WAIT FOR YOUR LOVE)
    Ariana Grande
View the Full NZ Top 40...
muzic.net.nz Logo
100% New Zealand Music
All content on this website is copyright to muzic.net.nz and other respective rights holders. Redistribution of any material presented here without permission is prohibited.
Report a ProblemReport A Problem