Remember Me? | Join | Recover
Click here to sign in via social networking

Gig Guide Forums

Shade
muzic.net.nz Admin

View Profile
Mars @ the Kings Arms, May 4
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:11 pm
Mars celebrate success of new single at Kings Arms, May 4.

With their new single "Wonderful" getting high-rotate on KIWI FM and the bNet, local band Mars are one of the country's hottest up and coming acts. For the first time since the song's release, they will be headlining at the Kings Arms tavern on Wednesday, May 4, with support from Frisbie.

Head Martian Stephen McIntyre made records for the Flying Nun label when he was still in high school and a member of Christchurch bands Ballon D'essai and All Fall Down. He left New Zealand in 1988 and spent the whole of the next decade in Asia busking, teaching and learning how to surf!

"It was really tough in the eighties trying to make any sort of dent in the New Zealand music industry. I left in frustration to travel and pursue other interests, and then noticed things steadily improving over the next ten years. In 1999 I had a creative burst of songwriting and made the decision to return home and dedicate myself to a music career once again. My timing was good, because this country had turned itself around in terms of how it sees its own artists. Liking local musicians used to be an almost strictly elitist thing; it has since become mainstream."

Real Groove magazine welcomed McIntyre's return home and called the group's debut single "ideal summertime listening". Chock-full of sounds, hooks and harmonies, the latest release "Wonderful" is a psychedelic pop masterpiece. It received a recording grant from NZ on Air, and comes with a video produced by acclaimed English director Richard Bell's company Shuriken. The song truly lives up to its name; offering a mouth-watering taste of the many succulent delights to be found on the group's upcoming LP "Live From Hempfields".

With comparisons made to Elvis Costello, Crowded House and Coldplay, Mars' music has all the hallmarks of intelligent, timeless pop. Through gloriously catchy melodies and warm, powerful lyrics the aim is to grab you by the heart and light a fire in your
soul.

Mars—a band name that’s as universal and easy to remember as the exquisite music they make. Treat yourself and give them a listen. But be advised: you may find yourself temporarily transported to another world when you do!

Muzic Bot

View Profile
RE: Mars @ the Kings Arms, May 4
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:33 pm
This is an automatic reply stating that Muzic Bot has closed this thread due to inactivity.

This means that there have been no posts made to this thread for a period of 12 months and the thread has been locked.

Now that this thread is locked, you will not be able to make any further posts to it.

Please login to post.

NZ Top 10 Singles

• TOO SWEET
    Hozier
  • ESPRESSO
    Sabrina Carpenter
  • FORTNIGHT
    Taylor Swift feat. Post Malone
  • MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    Tommy Richman
  • A BAR SONG (TIPSY)
    Shaboozey
  • BEAUTIFUL THINGS
    Benson Boone
  • I LIKE THE WAY YOU KISS ME
    Artemas
  • I CAN DO IT WITH A BROKEN HEART
    Taylor Swift
  • LOSE CONTROL
    Teddy Swims
  • DOWN BAD
    Taylor Swift
View the Full NZ Top 40...
muzic.net.nz Logo
100% New Zealand Music
All content on this website is copyright to muzic.net.nz and other respective rights holders. Redistribution of any material presented here without permission is prohibited.
Report a ProblemReport A Problem