Gig Guide Forums

Shade
muzic.net.nz Admin

View Profile
Sick Disco
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:27 am
Sick Disco - Saturday 17th October - Cassette Nine - 9pm - $10

Rob Threezy (Mad Decent), Nick D, Yam Jams DJ’s, Manaia Toa, Maya + Vanya

Sick Disco’s gonna be Maaaaad Decent. Chicago's B-more breaker Rob Threezy’s gonna swamp the floor with the freshest Chicago house inspired jams and dubstep electro party anthems. Deep, dark, rave, with bass hitting you like a 20 ft wave. Bosh!

Kitchen Bar hosted by Fleet FM

Rob Threezy

Born in Pilsen, Threezy grew up with house DJs for uncles. “I know all the deep house and disco house that came out of Chicago,” he says. “I did my research on that, so I’m like, ‘OK, I’m gonna see if I can make some jazzy house, but with breaks, and glitch it up a little bit and add a different style to it,’ and they’re gonna be like, ‘Whoa, what is that?’ and I’m like, ‘That’s just the music I make. That’s just me.’”

Continuing to experiment. “The Chase,” his single most popular with DJs, includes the requisite “Think” breaks and a wailing police siren, but it also has a chilly feel that’s more in line with electro and a stabbing staccato synth piano that’s straight out of old-school house. And “Jingle Jams,” from his new digital-only EP, The Change Up (Nightshifters), uses wobbling sub-bass synth and sudden tweaky jumps in volume and density to create a sound that’s less like club music and more like dubstep—a British-born style that belongs to an evolutionary lineage that split from club music’s ancestors in the mid-90s, aeons ago in dance-music years.

Nick D

Be it on the radio on George FM Breakfast, on his Television series 'Making Tracks' or on dancefloors across the globe, Nick D's passion for music runs far and wide. Nick's been lucky enough to see a bit of the world, and has a vertiable swag-bag of exotic madcap party sounds he's picked up along the way - from the Nordic Space Disco of Lindstrom and Todd Terje, butt-shaking Baile handpicked from the favelas of Brazil, to the new african clubs sounds of Kwaito, Kuduru and Coupe Decale, and of course a healthy dosage of sub-bass and sub-genres from every other other nook & cranny of the globe thrown in for good measure. A Nick D set is like heading out to your local pub for a night out, having a few too many Caipirinhas, waking up on a beach in Antigua next to a 6 foot tall Nigerian man in a pink tutu, and a cute gypsy girl trying to steal your watch. Kinda.

Manaia Toa

Manaia Toa aka Splash started writing tunes in 96 he’s released some of the meanest local jungle/d’n’b. Tunes that have proven tough to match in sonic epicness. His time in London brought forth the War Trouble War ep. Now recently he’s recorded and produced the massive New Cross Soul album, ‘Reality’, a return to the darkness is looming. His dj sets pull out gems from the shinning disco bags of dubstep, Chicago house, acid rave and the rest of all that’s been good over the last 20 years!

Yam Jams

Yam Jams is based around old disco, soul, hip-hop and electro staples. Mixing vintage acidhouse and techno, they showcase emerging genres like B-more breaks, kuduro, and fidget house. Yam Jams is one of the last club dj’s in the country to still play the majority of their tracks on vinyl.

Maya + Vanya

Auckland-based, Croatian born DJ sisters, Maya and Vanya set the dance floor on fire with their taste making selections of all that’s new in the world of electro and dance. When not Djing their promoting the Thursday Tea Party, and making regular guest DJ appearances on George FM.

Shade
muzic.net.nz Admin

View Profile
RE: Sick Disco
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:50 pm
Sick Disco presents The History Of Dance - Madchester
Saturday 24th October - Cassette Nine - 9pm - $10

DJ's Dick Johnson, Barney McDonald, Tidball The Acid Don, Mikey Havoc

Hallelujah! Get yourself in an 808 State and head back to the second summer of love. Make your house, acid and while youre at it blow all your cash on a zinc roof. Tonights History of Dance pays tribute to the Hacienda and celebrates all things Manchester inspired. Rave On!

Kitchen Bar hosted by 1AM

Dick Johnson

As a teenager Dick Magik Johnson landed his own room DJing at Manchesters legendary Hacienda club, before long he was producing tracks for Creams Olympic label, New Orders Pleasure Recordings and Manchesters Paper Recordings collective. From there he launched his own highly respected label Shaboom, releasing artists such as UBU, Joeski & Onionz, Fred Everything, Doc Martin and DJ Sneak.

Tidball: The Acid Don.

Andrew Tidball's music heritage is perhaps a little surprising given that he's now more widely known for running one of NZ's leading alternative music websites Cheese on Toast - but when he was a young man, he was there was when house music was born and was one of the first DJs to be dropping early acid house into his sets. From Chicago greats Marshall Jefferson and Jamie Principal to the Detroit godfathers of techno Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson to the UK spin on things from Baby Ford to 808 State - Tidball still has all the original records in his record box. Is he old skool or just old?

Mikey Havoc

You hear him on the radio, and youve seen him on the TV show. Chances are, you've also heard him playing out at numerous parties over the years, not to mention maybe even witnessed the glam-rock of Push Push. Mr Havoc DJ persona magnifique and a never ending supply of quality tunes from every direction.

Barney McDonald

Channelling the darkness of Joy Division, sexiness of Donna Summer, purity of Seba, landscapes of Studio, beats of Bukem, palette of David Lynch and warmth of Colder.

Muzic Bot

View Profile
RE: Sick Disco
Posted: Sun Aug 8, 2010 11:14 pm
This is an automatic reply stating that Muzic Bot has closed this thread due to inactivity.

This means that there have been no posts made to this thread for a period of months and the thread has been locked.

Now that this thread is locked, you will not be able to make any further posts to it.

Please login to post.

NZ Top 10 Singles

• FORTNIGHT
    Taylor Swift feat. Post Malone
  • TOO SWEET
    Hozier
  • DOWN BAD
    Taylor Swift
  • THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT
    Taylor Swift
  • SO LONG, LONDON
    Taylor Swift
  • I CAN DO IT WITH A BROKEN HEART
    Taylor Swift
  • MY BOY ONLY BREAKS HIS FAVORITE TOYS
    Taylor Swift
  • BUT DADDY I LOVE HIM
    Taylor Swift
  • FLORIDA!!!
    Taylor Swift feat. Florence And The Machine
  • WHO'S AFRAID OF LITTLE OLD ME?
    Taylor Swift
View the Full NZ Top 40...
muzic.net.nz Logo
100% New Zealand Music
All content on this website is copyright to muzic.net.nz and other respective rights holders. Redistribution of any material presented here without permission is prohibited.
Report a ProblemReport A Problem