Click here to sign in via social networking

Gig Guide Forums

Shade
muzic.net.nz Admin

View Profile
Akron/Family
Posted: Tue Sep 1, 2009 3:35 pm
AKRON/FAMILY

You'll hear them coming for sure- a hollerin', whoopin', bashin' and all together heading for New Zealand in a wonderful way this December.

Mystery Girl, Galesburg and 95bFM's Border Radio are proud to present – for the first time ever in New Zealand – Akron/Family.

Tuesday December 15th – the Kings Arms – Auckland
Wednesday December 16th – Bar Bodega – Wellington

Tickets from www.undertheradar.co.nz, Real Groovy Auckland and Slow Boat Records Wellington from September 7th

Formed in the weirder parts of New York City circa 2002, Akron/Family play music as a tree root might crack the sidewalk. Strings, drums and guitars all warm and alive play amongst the electronic crunch, mingle with feedback, coasting alongside chants and harmoniesglorious enough to convert and strong enough to convince. Their latest album, Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free (2009) is the sound of an aural experiment that went to sleep in the city and woke up in a forest, bright eyed, bushy tailed- a beautiful and wild hybrid of folk, post-rock, and other primal urges. Odd and sweet musical beasts, they run roughshod over convention in pursuit of the sublime.

The Akron/Family live show has been described in the LA Times as moving between “group harmonies and delicate musicianship” to a “psychedelic rave-up”. The San Francisco Independent writes “Akron/Family is a big party onstage, a dudefest, a street gang with joy instead of knives—a riot of drums and drums, funk, tribal stomp and too many guitars.” And if you don’t believe it – then check out these videos!

So, be a cousin, a sister, a brother- become part of the extended Akron/ Family this December.

http://www.akronfamily.com/

http://www.myspace.com/akronfamily

SAN FRANCISCO INDEPENDENT LIVE REVIEW

"Sonically clear and carefully produced, the Beatles on American Indian mysticism, instead of East Indian. Somewhere in there (“Crickets”) is the sound of summer in the humid temperate zone, peepers chirping and cicadas munching on leaves, and rubbing their legs together. Live, would they be crickets or guitars or drums or what?"

THE LA TIMES LIVE REVIEW

"Given the critical and fan acclaim enjoyed by the somewhat like-minded post-hippie favorites Animal Collective, one could argue that Brooklyn's Akron/Family may be next in line for a pop culture breakthrough. Both rely on rich melodies carrying upbeat if vaguely inscrutable lyrics and each delivers a style-hopping live show rich with improvisation and an exuberant, communal spirit...."

Muzic Bot

View Profile
RE: Akron/Family
Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:52 pm
This is an automatic reply stating that Muzic Bot has closed this thread due to inactivity.

This means that there have been no posts made to this thread for a period of months and the thread has been locked.

Now that this thread is locked, you will not be able to make any further posts to it.

Please login to post.

NZ Top 10 Singles

• FORTNIGHT
    Taylor Swift feat. Post Malone
  • TOO SWEET
    Hozier
  • DOWN BAD
    Taylor Swift
  • THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT
    Taylor Swift
  • SO LONG, LONDON
    Taylor Swift
  • I CAN DO IT WITH A BROKEN HEART
    Taylor Swift
  • MY BOY ONLY BREAKS HIS FAVORITE TOYS
    Taylor Swift
  • BUT DADDY I LOVE HIM
    Taylor Swift
  • FLORIDA!!!
    Taylor Swift feat. Florence And The Machine
  • WHO'S AFRAID OF LITTLE OLD ME?
    Taylor Swift
View the Full NZ Top 40...
muzic.net.nz Logo
100% New Zealand Music
All content on this website is copyright to muzic.net.nz and other respective rights holders. Redistribution of any material presented here without permission is prohibited.
Report a ProblemReport A Problem