Remember Me? | Join | Recover
Click here to sign in via social networking

Gig Guide Forums

Shade
muzic.net.nz Admin

View Profile
Matt Joe Gow and Andy Pollock to support Justin Townes Earle
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:38 pm
Liberation Music artist Matt Joe Gow and guitarist Andy Pollock have been confirmed as the NZ support act for Justin Townes Earle this October!

Matt Joe Gow and The Dead Leaves debut album ‘The Messenger’ was released in NZ last Monday and is in all good record stores now.

Be sure to catch this great new kiwi talent live with Justin Townes Earle.

Growing up in Dunedin, he traveled the globe and eventually settled in Melbourne a place where independent spirits and western shirts live together in harmony reinforcing Matt’s faith in the music he’d always loved. Matt heeded the many recommendations he’d received to “take music more seriously” (and realised that he wasn’t much good at anything else), and went about assembling a band, The Dead Leaves – in Matt’s own words, a bunch of “like-minded guys who are into playing music that’s really honest, raw music that’s kind of like the stuff we grew up on. Timeless music. Stuff that’s not really influenced by what’s going on now.”

Matt Joe Gows debut album with the Dead Leaves is called The Messenger,
and out now through Liberation. www.myspace.com/mattjoegowmusic

Justin Townes Earle’s age belies his experience.

Growing up in Nashville he mis-spent his youth playing in “The Swindlers” (bluegrass/ragtime) and the louder, more rocking “The Distributors” and developing some very bad habits! These problems lead to being fired from his father’s band (Steve Earle). Ultimately though, he cleaned up his act, dropped his self-destructive habits and focused on his music. With inspirations as diverse as Townes Van Zandt, (who he is named after), Jimmy Reed, The Replacements, Woody Guthrie, Kurt Cobain and Ray Charles, Justin has forged his own brand of American Roots Music.

“It has taken Justin Townes Earle sometime to slip the shadow of his famous father (Steve Earle), but with the release of his second album Midnight At The Movies he is well on his way!… A great voice, less country and more cosmopolitan in tone. But it’s the range of styles that impress most, from slow cowboy ballads and Western swing to full-throated honky-tonk, Tin Pan Alley and exquisite break up songs…” – Uncut

“I have a feeling that in a few years we’ll need backstage passes at the Ryman auditorium to get anywhere near him. He’s just THAT good.” – Chattanooga Free Press, USA

“Justin Townes Earle is living proof that despite the freak show that is modern day Nashville there are still artists out there who revere the deep roots of the American musical tradition while still pushing the boundaries to create something new and wonderful.” – PopMatters.com

SATURDAY OCTOBER 10
BAR BODEGA • WELLINGTON • 8PM

SUNDAY OCTOBER 11
KINGS ARMS • AUCKLAND • 7PM

Tickets at www.eventfinder.co.nz & Real Groovy

New CD Midnight At The Movies out now on Bloodshot / Southbound.

Muzic Bot

View Profile
RE: Matt Joe Gow and Andy Pollock to support Justin Townes Earle
Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:52 pm
This is an automatic reply stating that Muzic Bot has closed this thread due to inactivity.

This means that there have been no posts made to this thread for a period of months and the thread has been locked.

Now that this thread is locked, you will not be able to make any further posts to it.

Please login to post.

NZ Top 10 Singles

• FORTNIGHT
    Taylor Swift feat. Post Malone
  • TOO SWEET
    Hozier
  • DOWN BAD
    Taylor Swift
  • THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT
    Taylor Swift
  • SO LONG, LONDON
    Taylor Swift
  • I CAN DO IT WITH A BROKEN HEART
    Taylor Swift
  • MY BOY ONLY BREAKS HIS FAVORITE TOYS
    Taylor Swift
  • BUT DADDY I LOVE HIM
    Taylor Swift
  • FLORIDA!!!
    Taylor Swift feat. Florence And The Machine
  • WHO'S AFRAID OF LITTLE OLD ME?
    Taylor Swift
View the Full NZ Top 40...
muzic.net.nz Logo
100% New Zealand Music
All content on this website is copyright to muzic.net.nz and other respective rights holders. Redistribution of any material presented here without permission is prohibited.
Report a ProblemReport A Problem