Gig Guide Forums

Shade
muzic.net.nz Admin

View Profile
Good Laika
Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:32 pm
Good Laika Release New Album ‘Followed By A Trail Of Sparks’ Monday 6 July
Album Release Shows To Be Held In Auckland and Wellington

Wellington band Good Laika return on Monday 6 July with their eagerly awaited sophomore album Followed By A Trail Of Sparks. Recorded live at Nic McGowan’s Island Bay Studios, Followed By A Trail Of Sparks blends indie rock, soul and folk influences into an aural adventure that is equal parts edgy, stirring and haunted. First single ‘All’s Well (Summer Song)’ recently blitzed alternative radio, reaching #3 on the national Alt Airplay Chart, with second single ‘Twelve O’Something’ beginning to make a similar impression now.

The slick live recordings will come alive in front of audiences at the upcoming album release shows at the Monte Cristo Room in Auckland on Friday 10 July, and the San Francisco Bath House in Wellington on Thursday 16 July.

Good Laika, formed seven years ago in secret backrooms in central Wellington, comprises Robin Hinkley (vocals, guitar), Matthew Armitage (bass guitar, vocals), Jason Fa’afoi (guitar, backing vocals), Ricky Boyd (drums, percussion) and Nic Marshal (keys). Followed By A Trail Of Sparks is just the second album the band has registered in seven years of playing together - their first being the critically acclaimed Heads I Win, Tails You Lose. Since the band’s conception, Good Laika has played well-received shows from north to south, and radio stations across the country have embraced the band’s single releases. Encouraged by their reception, inspired by a few anxious adventures – including and keen to spend more creative time together, Good Laika returned to the studio to see what might happen this time.

So why do the band sound lost and a little spooked on this new album? A key moment in the formation of A Trail of Sparks was an adventurous, foolhardy and ultimately doomed journey into eerie South Wairarapa, where everything that could have gone wrong did. Cars broke down, shops on the way were closed, cars laden with equipment scraped along the ground, gates were locked, keys to the hunting lodge (haunted) were unavailable, firewood was wet, recordings were lost, cellular phones were out of range, light bulbs were blown and ovens were cursed. At one point, the band found themselves carrying their instruments along a forest path in pitch darkness, guided by their cell-phone lights and the blinking eyes of unknown creatures just off the path.

True to this formative experience, Good Laika has gone on to deliver an exceptional album with Followed By A Trail Of Sparks. If their live recordings are anything to go by, seeing them live will be an equally outstanding event.

“In short, Followed By A Trail Of Sparks is one of the best locally made albums I've heard all year, and despite it not being a genre that I generally subscribe to, I've found it drifting back onto my playlist, which is high praise indeed.” * * * * – Gary Steel, Tone/Metro

“There's a deceptive charm and intensity to this bands music, a blend of indie pop and rock with soulful singing. It sneaks up on you, indelibly making its mark with a stateliness that could be underrated….Good Laika appear to have an x-factor and it's in fine form on this sophomore release.” – Simon Sweetman, NZ Musician

GOOD LAIKA ALBUM RELEASE SHOWS:

Friday 10 July - Monte Cristo Room, Auckland
Thursday 16 July - San Francisco Bath House, Wellington

www.myspace.com/goodlaika

Muzic Bot

View Profile
RE: Good Laika
Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:52 pm
This is an automatic reply stating that Muzic Bot has closed this thread due to inactivity.

This means that there have been no posts made to this thread for a period of months and the thread has been locked.

Now that this thread is locked, you will not be able to make any further posts to it.

Please login to post.

NZ Top 10 Singles

• FORTNIGHT
    Taylor Swift feat. Post Malone
  • TOO SWEET
    Hozier
  • DOWN BAD
    Taylor Swift
  • THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT
    Taylor Swift
  • SO LONG, LONDON
    Taylor Swift
  • I CAN DO IT WITH A BROKEN HEART
    Taylor Swift
  • MY BOY ONLY BREAKS HIS FAVORITE TOYS
    Taylor Swift
  • BUT DADDY I LOVE HIM
    Taylor Swift
  • FLORIDA!!!
    Taylor Swift feat. Florence And The Machine
  • WHO'S AFRAID OF LITTLE OLD ME?
    Taylor Swift
View the Full NZ Top 40...
muzic.net.nz Logo
100% New Zealand Music
All content on this website is copyright to muzic.net.nz and other respective rights holders. Redistribution of any material presented here without permission is prohibited.
Report a ProblemReport A Problem