Remember Me? | Join | Recover
Click here to sign in via social networking

Gig Guide Forums

Shade
muzic.net.nz Admin

View Profile
Fly My Pretties - 2009 Cast Announcement
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:51 am
Loop and 42BELOW are proud to announce the 2009 Fly My Pretties cast.

A collective of local musicians that mixes well-known and loved performers with exciting new talent, Fly My Pretties is a melting pot of New Zealand’s creative musical diversity.

For the first time ever, this year the Fly My Pretties cast features musicians from the wider reaches of Aotearoa, as well as a reputable crew from Wellington.

So without further ado… the 16-strong 2009 Fly My Pretties Cast:

Anna Coddington
Barnaby Weir
Eva Prowse
Jarney Murphy
L.A. Mitchell
Lisa Tomlins
Mara T.K
Mike Fabulous
Nathan ‘Nato’ Hickey
Nigel Patterson
Paul McLaney
Riki Gooch
Rio Hunuki-Hemopo
Ryan Prebble
Tessa Rain
Tom Watson

A new element to this year’s show, Fly My Pretties will also be joined on stage by Barnaby Weir’s legendary storytelling father Dick Weir, who will narrate an original story woven into the music of the new live show. This adventure, written by Barnaby and Dick Weir, will also be available as a book illustrated by brilliant new-comer Kieran Rynhart.

Dick Weir has a huge passion for, and a 44-year history in storytelling and performing. He was the creator and presenter of Radio New Zealand’s award-winning show “Ears”, and has been honoured with many more awards including the Queen’s Service Medal for his Services to Children’s Broadcasting.

Illustrator Kieran Rynhart and Kraft:Haus Films have been working closely with the Fly My Pretties crew to create a dynamic visual symphony to accompany the live shows and to feature on the live CD/DVD release and documentary planned for release later in 2009.

Tickets are selling very fast meaning a second show for Wellington on Saturday 13th June has been released! Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch tickets are available from Ticketek. Dunedin tickets are available from TicketDirect. See http://www.loop.co.nz for more details.

With special thanks to 42BELOW, SKYCITY, Red Bull, Tuborg, Ticketek, C4, the bNet, Meridian Energy, Kraft:Haus Films and Strategy Design.

Please see below for individual information on the 2009 Fly My Pretties cast.

ORIGINAL FLY MY PRETTIES CAST MEMBERS:

Barnaby Weir:
Leader and co-founder of the Pretties concept, Barnaby Weir is also the singer, songwriter and guitarist for The Black Seeds and his other sideline project Flash Harry. Wellingtonian and Sagittarian, Barnaby is a cornerstone of the capital’s music scene and enjoys aqua jogging in the weekends.

Jarney Murphy:
Jarney Murphy joined The Black Seeds in 2004 as the man with the rhythm sticks and has been knocking out those well-loved, dubby groove beats on the drums ever since. Playing at full-throttle, Jarney is a man who brings down the house no holds barred and can’t wait to get back on tour with the new Pretties line-up.

Mike Fabulous:
Dunedin-based Mike Fabulous from The Black Seeds is a guitarist, bassist, DJ and wannabe drummer. He also loves dancing. He would like to produce records for a living and have a holiday in Japan. Mike is involved in the New Zealand Music Commission’s Musicians Mentoring in School Programme and when he gets to be an older man he would like to be a painter.

Nathan ‘Nato’ Hickey:
A man of many creative strengths, Nathan Hickey plays bass for Wellington group Grand Prix who's new album “The Speed of Sound” is due for release on April 28. He also drums for heavy metal primates Beastwars. Nathan co-directs New Zealand’s creative culture TV show “The Gravy” and makes tripedelic music videos for his buddies featuring jet packs and egg-laying angels in his spare time.

Tessa Rain:
Wellington-born Tessa Rain lives by the sea and began writing songs and singing in 1983, where her first audience was a fantail. Tessa's work has appeared in Taika Waititi's film Eagle Vs Shark. She made “Homerecordings” in 2000 with Age Pryor, and is currently recording a new collection of songs.

NEW FLY MY PRETTIES CAST MEMBERS:

Anna Coddington:
Originally hailing from Raglan, the engaging Anna Coddington, singer, guitarist and sometime drummer, released her first solo, self-produced album “The Lake” last year. Releasing pop gems and fronting her own bands Handsome Geoffrey and Duchess from the age of 14, Anna’s voice has also featured on Anika Moa, Bic Runga and SJD recordings.

Eva Prowse:
Eva Prowse is a striking alt-country singer who plays the violin and mandolin. Impressing audiences with her bands the Eva Prowse Trio and The Accidental Tourists, she is set to release her debut album late 2009 following her 2007 EP, ‘Five Songs’. Eva recently recorded a selection of Beatles songs for the 2009 Royal NZ Ballet ‘Tutus on Tour’, and is the Artistic Assistant for the NZSO.

L.A. Mitchell:
The last six months have been a busy time for L.A Mitchell. Following the release of her second album “Live at Matterhorn” she opened for Stevie Wonder in Auckland and Christchurch, supported Dave Dobbyn on his European tour and returned to New Zealand for a four week winery tour performing as part of Dave Dobbyn’s band. Previously based in Christchurch, 2009 sees L.A.Mitchell relocating to Auckland.

Lisa Tomlins:
One of New Zealand’s most versatile performers, Lisa has been the veritable 'gun-for-hire' for many local groups, cementing her place as a much sought after Wellington vocalist. Performing with the likes of Rhombus, Shapeshifter, Recloose and Solaa, through to Twinset, Ebb, Opensouls and Hollie Smith, Lisa’s voice is unmistakenly the sound of soul.

Mara T.K:
A talented singer, guitarist, DJ, and producer from Christchurch, Mara T.K is a busy man and has worked musically with Ommas Keith, Musinah, Pacific Heights, Isaac Aesili, Julien Dyne, Will Ricketts and The Black Seeds. He plays bass for Wellington based group Hikoikoi, guitar for Solaa, fronts his own group Electric Wire Hustle and squeezes in waltz lessons every Tuesday.

Nigel Patterson:
Nigel Patterson is a Wellington based composer and the keyboardist for The Black Seeds. His other musical projects include The Mantarays, Luxury Liner, The Ascension Band and The Nigel Patterson Trio. Also known as Hammondhead, Nigel is especially into vintage keyboards and synthesizers and finds most of his inspiration from jazz, reggae, hip-hop, funk and soul.

Paul McLaney:
Growing up in North-East England, then transplanted worlds away to Aotearoa's northern reaches; Paul McLaney, singer/guitarist, now resides in Auckland. From folky pop and thunderous rock'n'roll spanning the exploits of his band Gramsci, to complete immersion in electronic music collaborations with the likes of Concord Dawn, to his recent finger-picking solo celtic work, Paul is truly a man of musical resource

Riki Gooch:
Multi-instrumentalist/producer/DJ, Riki Gooch was a founding member of the legendary Wellington group TrinityRoots. Nowadays, Riki is pursuing his solo career as Eru Dangerspiel and released his debut album ‘Great News For The Modern Man’, a dirty, bottom-heavy funk and psychedelic rhythm and blues affair, late last year. Riki also tours internationally as a drummer for Fat Freddy’s Drop.

Rio Hunuki-Hemopo:
Wellington’s Rio Hunuki-Hemopo paid his musical dues playing bass and singing alongside Warren Maxwell (Little Bushman) and Riki Gooch (Eru Dangerspiel) in seminal local band TrinityRoots. Currently the bassist for Breaks Co-Op and international touring bro-vocalist for Fat Freddy’s Drop, Rio has jammed with all manner of New Zealand’s finest musicians and was invited back to the Red Bull Music Academy for a two week recording session in Capetown last year.

Ryan Prebble:
Ryan Prebble has intrigued audiences throughout NZ with his captivating voice, and stonking rhythms and grooves. He also performs with bands, Spartacus R, The Pyramid Scheme, Safari, as well as 3 European tours with The Black Seeds, and played in the 2006 Fly My Pretties Grand Tour.

Tom Watson:
Tom Watson is best known as the frontman/guitarist, singer/songwriter of Kiwi rock band Cassette, who formed in Auckland in 1999, and relocated to Melborne in 2001. Back in Wellington and with a new album “The Jingle King” released in March this year, Tom has been touring the new sounds around New Zealand with Cassette sometimes performing as The Luke Buda Band.

http://www.loop.co.nz
http://www.42below.com

FLY MY PRETTIES – TICKETS SELLING FAST!

Christchurch Isaac Theatre Royal - Fri 22 May
Dunedin The Regent - Fri 29 May
Auckland Sky City Theatre - Thurs 4, Fri 5, Sat 6 June
Wellington St James Theatre - Fri 12 June, Sat 13 June

Muzic Bot

View Profile
RE: Fly My Pretties - 2009 Cast Announcement
Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:52 pm
This is an automatic reply stating that Muzic Bot has closed this thread due to inactivity.

This means that there have been no posts made to this thread for a period of months and the thread has been locked.

Now that this thread is locked, you will not be able to make any further posts to it.

Please login to post.

NZ Top 10 Singles

• MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    Tommy Richman
  • NOT LIKE US
    Kendrick Lamar
  • LUNCH
    Billie Eilish
  • A BAR SONG (TIPSY)
    Shaboozey
  • I HAD SOME HELP
    Post Malone feat. Morgan Wallen
  • CHIHIRO
    Billie Eilish
  • ESPRESSO
    Sabrina Carpenter
  • TOO SWEET
    Hozier
  • BIRDS OF A FEATHER
    Billie Eilish
  • SKINNY
    Billie Eilish
View the Full NZ Top 40...
muzic.net.nz Logo
100% New Zealand Music
All content on this website is copyright to muzic.net.nz and other respective rights holders. Redistribution of any material presented here without permission is prohibited.
Report a ProblemReport A Problem