Gig Guide Forums

Shade
muzic.net.nz Admin

View Profile
David Byrne
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:15 pm
DAVID BYRNE 2009 NZ TOUR
‘SONGS OF DAVID BYRNE AND BRIAN ENO’

Does anyone get better live concert reviews than David Byrne?
Seriously. If there is a more uplifting, stimulating, innovative, memorable or just plain joyous concert than David Byrne’s, we’d like to hear about it.

And so it is with great pleasure that Andrew McManus Presents announces the return to New Zealand of the wonderful David Byrne in February 2009 to perform his extraordinary new concert Songs Of David Byrne And Brian Eno.

Byrne’s new album Everything That Happens Happens Today, set for release worldwide on November 25, is his first collaboration with long-time friend Brian Eno in 25 years. It continues the association began when Eno produced three classic Talking Heads albums and the ground-breaking solo record My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (1981).

The partnership, which has produced much of Byrne’s best work, has inspired the current touring show. Whilst Eno may be absent physically, he is more than present spiritually as Byrne covers classic and current Byrne/Eno material in a concert which, although only four weeks old, has been lauded by U.S reviewers and may well be Byrne’s most acclaimed ever!

With a ten-piece band - five musicians, three backing singers and three dancers - all dressed in white, Byrne has raised the bar yet again in the marriage of music, art and theatre. Here’s a sample of what the critics are saying:

"... no skinny white guy with white hair ever rocked so joyously in Wimbledon whites." (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Nov 8 2008 )

"This wasn't just a concert; it was a celebration, full of energy, hope and joy." (The Times Nov 6 2008 )

“Byrne delivered a two-hour show as enigmatic and adventurous as his three decades-long career. ...... In short, the man was the same as he ever was: brilliant.” (The Boston Globe Nov 1)

“...he created a synergy between appreciative musicians and worshipful admirers that marks the most memorable shows." (Press of Atlantic City Nov 3 2008 )

"...a spirit of emotional connection and giddy creativity." (The Boston Herald Nov 2 2008 )

“If only every musical act could put so much thought into and exude so much energy and passion during their concerts." (Toronto Sun Oct 30 2008 )

“Dressed as an angel, David Byrne is a musical miracle." (The Salt Lake Tribune Oct 13 2008 )

“All these elements combined into a concert that ran like a fine-tuned engine with all the cylinders pumping; sound, world music rhythm, visuals, and energy, with a little passion thrown in for good measure." (The Amplifier Oct 9 2008 )

It’s not surprising that Byrne has once again created something very special. Since the beginning with his band Talking Heads, he has always pushed the envelope, taking popular music into new directions, both in terms of sound, lyrics and visual presentation. Outside of music, he remains a prolific artist, photographer and film-maker.

In Songs Of David Byrne and Brian Eno, Byrne performs songs from their numerous collaborations including the new album, the three Talking Heads albums and My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts. The show has just commenced a six-month world tour in the US and is absolutely not to be missed.

TOUR DATES ARE:
Friday 13 February Wellington, Michael Fowler Centre

Tickets on sale WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 3rd from www.ticketek.co.nz / 0800-Ticketek

Saturday 14 February Auckland, Aotea Centre, ASB Theatre
Tickets on sale WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 3rd from www.the-edge.co.nz / 0800-BUY TICKETS (0800 289 842)

K.I.N.G

View Profile
RE: David Byrne
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:43 pm
OMG OMG OMG

Too many gigs on next year!

Already probably going to The Who, Kings of Leon, Iron Maiden...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dang, that'd be awesome. Auck gig is on me and my girl's anniversary. 5 Years to the day after we saw Bowie.

Muzic Bot

View Profile
RE: David Byrne
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:19 pm
This is an automatic reply stating that Muzic Bot has closed this thread due to inactivity.

This means that there have been no posts made to this thread for a period of 12 months and the thread has been locked.

Now that this thread is locked, you will not be able to make any further posts to it.

Please login to post.

NZ Top 10 Singles

• MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    Tommy Richman
  • I HAD SOME HELP
    Post Malone feat. Morgan Wallen
  • NOT LIKE US
    Kendrick Lamar
  • A BAR SONG (TIPSY)
    Shaboozey
  • TOO SWEET
    Hozier
  • ESPRESSO
    Sabrina Carpenter
  • BEAUTIFUL THINGS
    Benson Boone
  • FORTNIGHT
    Taylor Swift feat. Post Malone
  • LOSE CONTROL
    Teddy Swims
  • I LIKE THE WAY YOU KISS ME
    Artemas
View the Full NZ Top 40...
muzic.net.nz Logo
100% New Zealand Music
All content on this website is copyright to muzic.net.nz and other respective rights holders. Redistribution of any material presented here without permission is prohibited.
Report a ProblemReport A Problem