Gig Guide Forums

Shade
muzic.net.nz Admin

View Profile
dDub new album and gigs
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:27 pm
dDub’s new album Medicine Man in stores 31 March 08
*PLUS May/June Tour Dates

Medicine Man is the much anticipated second album from one of Aotearoa’s best-loved live rock/roots acts dDub.

The songs are a culmination of two years writing, touring and extensive road testing. The album was recorded in-between a busy 12 month schedule of 56 NZ and Australian tour dates and numerous summer festival appearances such as the 13,000 strong crowd at the Rhythm and Vines Festival 08.

The production concept behind Medicine Man was to capture the live performance ‘magic’ dDub is renowned for and combine it with the subtleties and precision of the recording process. The band was heavily involved in production and additional musicians were utilised to create a full expanded sound.

Already, Hesitate No, the first single from Medicine Man, has attracted the attention of The Edge, Juice TV, C4’s Select where it has been featured for the last 4 weeks and Kiwi Fm’s Top 10. The track has also been play-listed nationwide on all student radio frequencies and been included on NZ on Air’s celebratory 100th Hit Disc.

Medicine Man was mixed and engineered by Singapore-based Stu Newman (Stellar, Gregg Johnson). Newman was also a major influence in the sound of dDub’s debut album Awake at Dawn which garnered 4 and 5 star reviews in NZ, Australia and the USA, and sold over 5000 copies locally.

The critics said this about Awake at Dawn -

“Sophisticated arrangements, sweet tones, subtle poetic lyrics…. did I mention harmonies, nice drum and bass interplay, and the horn section?” - The Beat Magazine (USA)

“..sneaky musical momentum. The opener ’I See a Sign’ suddenly erupts into a boiling sub dub melee of pounding drums and sky high horns” - The Melbourne Age 3/4 *

“The production shines, Matt Shanks bass boasts more monster than King Kong” - NZ Herald 4/5 *

”... it was always going to be difficult picking my album of the year, but in the depths of winter I think I've found it in the sublime summer sounds that make up the long-awaited debut album from dDub. Definitely a must-have for any roots fan” - Craccum Magazine 5/5 *

“I thoroughly recommend waking up early on Monday and getting your copy. A slice of heaven made in NZ” - Christchurch Press 4.5/5 *

“Polished and complete, the album brings together a range of influences, including reggae, dub, ska, roots, and even a touch of flamenco, all performed with assured musicianship. Great listening” - Otago Daily Times 5/5 *

“(Awake at Dawn) loses none of the magical essence of a dDub live show” - Real Groove 4/5 *

Medicine Man is in stores from 31 March 08 via Vunderchick Records/Border

dDub Medicine Man Album Tour Dates (*with more shows TBA)

May

Friday 2 @ Revolver Bar - Queenstown
Saturday 3 @ Backstage Bar - Dunedin
Saturday 10 @ Als Bar - Christchurch

June

Saturday 7 @ Wellington (TBC)
Saturday 14 @ Album tour/release finale Party - Auckland (TBC)

Muzic Bot

View Profile
RE: dDub new album and gigs
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:09 am
This is an automatic reply stating that Muzic Bot has closed this thread due to inactivity.

This means that there have been no posts made to this thread for a period of 12 months and the thread has been locked.

Now that this thread is locked, you will not be able to make any further posts to it.

Please login to post.

NZ Top 10 Singles

• HOUDINI
    Eminem
  • MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    Tommy Richman
  • PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
    Sabrina Carpenter
  • BIRDS OF A FEATHER
    Billie Eilish
  • ESPRESSO
    Sabrina Carpenter
  • A BAR SONG (TIPSY)
    Shaboozey
  • TOO SWEET
    Hozier
  • I HAD SOME HELP
    Post Malone feat. Morgan Wallen
  • NOT LIKE US
    Kendrick Lamar
  • LUNCH
    Billie Eilish
View the Full NZ Top 40...
muzic.net.nz Logo
100% New Zealand Music
All content on this website is copyright to muzic.net.nz and other respective rights holders. Redistribution of any material presented here without permission is prohibited.
Report a ProblemReport A Problem